Grammar Toolbox: Tag questions
Look at these two sentences:
- John worked really hard, didnt he?
- Pamela didnt make it, did she?
These are called tag questions. They are very common in spoken language, and definitely much more common in English than in Norwegian. We use them to show interest and to involve the people we are talking with. Here are some more examples:
- We dont think the same way, do we?
- He drives too fast, doesnt he?
- He is quite handsome, isnt he?
- She hasnt got a boyfriend, has she?
- You're studying grammar, arent you?
- I can do that, cant I?
If the main sentence (before the comma) has an auxiliary verb (hjelpeverb), then this is used in the tag. If there is no auxiliary, we must use do/does/did.
Note that there is room for only one not (n't) in each sentence.