Grammar Toolbox: Wh-questions
Study the following question words:
- what - “hva/kva” - What did you say?
- who/whom - “hvem/kven” - Who did she meet?
- which - “hvilken/kva for” - Which film do you like best?
- whose - “hvem sin / kven sin” - Whose books did you borrow?
- when - “når” - When do you have to be there?
- why - “hvorfor/kvifor” - Why did she say that?
- where - “hvor/kvar” - Where did you see him?
- how - “hvordan/korleis” - How do we solve this?
Note: How is used in combinations such as how much, how often, how long, etc.:
- How much did she pay?
What, who, which and whose can function as subject (doer of the verb). Then we cannot use do-support:
- Who killed the bird?
- What happened next?
- Which team won the cup?
- Whose parents complained the most?
But when they are not the subject, we must use do/did:
- What did you tell her?